Thursday, August 06, 2020

P.S Windshield what not

I mentioned some time ago, and more than once, my car windshield had a crack in it that needed attending, repair, and finally the obvious- replacement.

Last week, a young man who reminded me of Mr. Clean (with hair), came to the church in search of a staff person's car window that was needing assistance and repair. The staff person was not me but I called upstairs for the staffer who needed that help. 

While we waited for the staff person to come down, this man began chattering on about his business. He was a walking advertisement and proud of it."My company has been around longer than sand!! We love our customers, and we love our work! Yes, ma'am, we even come to YOU, so you don't have to come to US"..... 

"Well, that's a great service," I mumbled into my mask.

"We're in, we're out, we clean up and skeedaddle, you should call us anytime you have glass trouble, ma'am. We're happy to help- all about the customer, yep."

"I will remember that when  I decide to get the crack in my windshield fixed, thanks, Mr. Clean and handy." 

"Ohhh, so you've got windshield trouble? Has that been going on for long? Because you need to not let that kind of thing go tooo long, it can run and crackle the whole blame window at any minute. Let me take a look, we'll fix you right up!" 

"Well, actually, I've been tracking it alongside our state stats on the virus growth. They both started out low, then when our graph started creeping up with virus cases,  so did my windshield crack! Every day I watched the news and looked for a curve, but no- our numbers just kept growing. Same on my car. Then one day, when I cranked up the car, I noticed what may have been the beginning of a curve. A CURVE!!!! I was so excited I couldn't wait to get to work and check our stats! We were still headed for the stars; I was bummed. A few days later, as the windshield curve kept curving, it started looking like it was going to flatten, and I was relieved. Sadly, our virus cases have not stayed in tandem with my windshield, but for a while there they did, and well, it gave me hope!" 

The chattering Mr. Clean stood perfectly still. His chattering had vanished, likely it had taken flight through his open mouth. A silent moment crept by.  The staff person came down. "Church chick, what's with the windshield guy? Is he okay?" I looked over at Mr. squeaky Clean and snapped my fingers a couple of times. "...Huh?"  I pointed to the staffer and motioned the staffer to show  our visitor to his car. 

They headed to the front doors, but Mr. Clean glanced back at me every few steps. I windshieldwiper-waved at them and went back to work. 

Tomorry, my car, Callie, will get new glasses, or really just one big one. I'm excited for her!

No comments: