Tuesday, September 24, 2019

True Crime Anonymous needed

Well, the first step is knowing there's a problem, right? I had that moment over the weekend. I had been lulled to sleep by You Tube-watching a case involving death-by-corn rake. No kidding. Who wouldn't want to see that come to trial? Wife has an affair, husband got bothered, and....... well, I fell asleep knowing that there was a difference between a pitchfork and a corn-rake. See? Aged yet-Always learning.

The next day while I was watching some Discovery ID program that mixed real detectives on the scene with actors reenacting the crime, I saw a familiar face on the screen. A female police officer that I was sure I had seen before. The show was about a woman who had killed her husband and then when she couldn't get the $500,000 insurance policy because the case was deemed homicide, she burned down their house. Sadly, the fire insurance did not come through for her, either. I'm sure she was notified while cozying up in her new, barred "tiny home" away from home.

I backtracked and paused when the familiar officer's face appeared, and I made note of her name: Officer Kerri Spaulding .

I hopped on my phone and googled her name but to no avail. The Discovery ID case took place in the same state the corn rake murder had occurred, so I went to Youtube and slowly went through each segment from the corn rake case until at long last, there sits Kerri on the stand. I hooted to myself, slapped my knee, "Whoo-hoo! She is the same officer!!! Wow, that is awesome!!!" When I heard myself being so excited about this, I hung my head in shame. " Oh, no. this is not good. not good at all."

Maybe when you are recognizing faces in the true-crime universe, it is a signal to step back.
My therapist said, " Or, it could mean you have a good recollection of detail and your memory is doing great!" uh, maybe? IDK.

2 comments:

Kat Moncol said...

You make me smile and laugh!

Gretchen Staebler said...

Haha! And this is why I can't stop my addiction to scrolling through FB. Because I might miss an episode of Church Lady Chronicles! Love you!