Thursday, November 01, 2018

The call from a weighted branch of desperation

As 2018 rolls toward an end, the church year is gearing up. High Season is fast approaching, and every day the pace quickens around here. Inquiries become urgent, needs are NOW, and patience falls short. This time of year is full of days that end with, " I'm pooped. What exactly did I do today? Too many things to count." 

These are the times I look for glitters. Tiny seconds that have nothing to do with the chaos and spin. 
I caught the first glimmer of this yesterday. I was in a very fast informational meeting in my office. The air was thick with syllables. Trying to use my mouse while checking the calendar against flying dates was a challenge. I watched my own self and thought my  computer mouse was moving so erratically that it resembled something  trying to catch a mosquito with no luck. Click slide right no left- click go back no- go ahead. Busy minutes. 

A couple of needs outside the threshold of my office pulled me out and the elastic holding me to my seat kept pulling me back into my chair. Busy, Bzzy minutes alright. 

In the midst of this, my phone rings. 

" Church chick, may I help you?"
" Um,Yes ma'am ! I need 40 service hours, and oh! I'm a college student."
" Okay. What do you need to do?"
" Well, all I really need is for you to take some letterhead and write on there that I have worked 40 hours of Community Service. I need that letter today and I'll do the service time later." 
Well, now, isn't this interesting? Hmmmmmm. My momness hummed. "Are you a member?"
" No ma'am."
" You need that letter today you say?"
" Well, yes. My court date is tomorry."
Ohhhhh my. Really? Reallly???  I felt my smile spill a  sprinkle of guilty tonic into the phone. "You're calling random churches looking for this, aren't you?"
Shame and dread-at-being-caught answered, "Yes, ma'am, I am." 
"Let me see if I've got this right... You are a college student, who needs 40 hours of Community Service before tomorry, you don't know us, and you are not a member but you want me to write you a letter on our Church Stationary that says you have done your hours here, and you want me to give that to you, a stranger that I don't even know, today?"
"Uh, well, yes ma'am." whispered the phone. 
"I'm sorry, I don't think I can do that for you." 
Resigned to doom, he replied," Yes ma'am. Thank you for your time."

Best call I had all day...

No comments: