Thursday, July 09, 2020

P.S. The Lighthouse Keeper

The years in this job have given me many hats to wear. The church website and the little sign outside my office both say someone with my exact name is the Church Secretary, though from day one I never claimed that as real. I used to have a label that said church secretary wannabe on my mail cubby and that seems to fit better, even now.

 Every few years, in -house changes like major church renovations, organ building, gym building, etc...have altered what my job looks like. The variety has been interesting in a good way! Enter Covid19. No bulldozers or cement trucks but huge changes, still ongoing! Over time I incrementally moved my office to the front desk and shifted my tasks to meet the needs. I'm busy- just a different kind of busy. 

I've been holding down the fort here at the desk for a few months, and well, I'm ready to do something else, so I've decided to create a new job for myself. I'm going to try being a  Lighthouse keeper. Maybe I can hang out on the steeple with my binoculars and keep a watch on the neighborhood. Maybe I'll see the mailman coming, "Hey Bobby!" or watch people walking their dogs, or catch people trying to go maskless. I can carry a megaphone up there with me and shout out, like sort -of -a -little- maybe,- like God would, straight from the steeple- "OH LO, DOWN THERE YOU UNMASKED CREATURE!"  Seriously, though, I halfway expect to eventually see someone with a mask tatooed on their face. That hasn't happened yet, but the day is not over...

Maybe I'll catch someone NOT picking up after their dog!"I THINK NOT, OH THEE,THOU,THEY!"  or maybe I can encourage runners when they hit the long, slow hill. "WWMD? KEEP RUNNING! THAT'S WHAT! YOU CAN GET TO THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN, YOU CAN!"

I'd really like to take a big flashlight up there and shine light circles across the ocean of homes in the neighborhood all night, but I'd get dizzy in a hurry and I'm afraid the neighbors would complain and we sure don't need any more complaining around town right now.



No comments: