Friday, March 17, 2006

Gum works miracles

March 17, 2006

Dear Double Bubble,

I am the church secretary here at ??UMC in Raleigh, NC. I have been working here over a year now, and I started this job after working in the preschool community for 30 years. You can imagine the learning curve after such a long time in a children’s environment. I am also the mother of four daughters, so I’ve got mom written all over me.

My girls play sports, softball in particular, and we always supply the double bubble for the games. It helps tremendously, both with spirit and support among team members.

With the success of the gum at games, I decided to try placing a bowl of DB on my desk at work. At first the reaction was questions, lots of questions. What is this for? May I have a piece? Why? …. Now, a year later, the question is “Where is the gum?” when I’m out. No questions at all come from passers by who have grown accustomed to the source of stress relief / serendipitous energy; they just sidetrack in/ grab a piece- sometimes two- and keep on their way. It has been a wonderful source for conversation, an ice breaker, and a calming element for those waiting to see the Pastor.

I write to you today, because this week, DB became a tool for increasing our membership. Yes. This is true. We had a lunchtime prayer opportunity this week, and in the middle of it, a stranger cruised down the hall and landed in my office. She was flustered, looked embarrassed, and was finishing off a long and hacking coughing fit.
“ I wonder if I may have a piece of gum to settle my throat?” she asked timidly, quietly coughing her way along.
“That’s what it is here for, help yourself.”
She took a piece and popped it in her mouth. “ smaller than I remember”
I agreed.
“ Lovely church, I never saw a church that offered gum before.” Her demeanor eased, and a smile began to form along her sticky pinked lips. “ you are the church secretary?”
“Yes I am, are you a member?”
She chewed for a bit before answering. “ No, I’m just visiting for the prayer service, but….” She turned and walked out . As she disappeared down the hallway, I heard her gum pop. “ I think I’ll be back, I like the way you do things around this church.”

So, Double Bubble, as you can see, you not only make a difference in a young child’s life, but your double bubbles have a ripple effect on adults, too.

Yours,
Melanie Iversen

2 comments:

Leslee said...

Church Chick, you have a name? Wow. But I think I knew it... it's 2 am so I don't know what's real and what's not. I'm also sick so I've got a mind full of snot. Anyway, just wanted to say hello! I wish my church sec had gum. She does usually have chocolate, so that works with me.

see-through faith said...

love this :)